Traveling and getting away from life’s daily routine is exciting! Experiencing new adventures, trying new foods and exploring new locations are all part of the fun.
That being said, these changes can alter our skin care regime which can lead to skin issues, such as dryness, dehydration, irritation, sudden breakouts, etc.
The good news is that there are ways to keep your skin looking healthy throughout your travels and minimize any possible reactions.
- Be Consistent. Your skin doesn’t like changes. It’s very important to stick to the same skin care routine, whether you are away or at home. Tip: Choose to purchase small containers to transfer your skin care products to be used on the go.
- Stay Hydrated. Your skin is an organ. Like other organs, it needs water to ‘work’ properly. Traveling in airplanes, with its dry air, can dehydrate the body, leading to flaky and tight skin. By ensuring that you stay hydrated, you can help prevent dehydration.
- Exfoliate The Night Before You Leave. Regular exfoliation is essential to keeping your skin healthy by helping to remove dead cells.
- Don’t Forget Your Sunscreen! Constant exposure to the Sun can irritate and dehydrate the skin. Wearing sunscreen regularly will protect the skin from its harmful rays and help prevent sunburns. Tip: Always choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects your skin from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Get A Professional Facial After You Come Back. Following a trip, we tend to go back to our regular routine. Our skin may need extra care to do so. In order to accelerate the process, it is recommended to get a professional deep cleansing and exfoliating facial soon after your return.
- Aveda Dual Exfoliation Peel Facial
- Guinot Beauté Neuve Double Peeling Facial
- Necessary Basic Products:
- Cleanser and/or Micellar Water
- Eye Cream / Serum and/or Moisturizer
- Optional: Exfoliant (if traveling for longer than a week)
- Urban Spa’s The Travel Kit (with everything you need to carry your skin care products on the go!)
- Aveda Botanical Kinetics Hydrating Treatment Lotion
- Aveda Botanical Kinetics Exfoliant
- Coola Face Mineral Sunscreen (Broad-Spectrum: SPF 30) – Available in White or BB Cream (tinted)
Kayla Gilbert, Certified Esthetician & Skincare Specialist